A Peek Into My Closet

With the exception of babysitting in the morning, the majority of my Tuesday was spent assembling and building furniture for my most recent project. The process of transforming my brother’s old bedroom into a walk-in closet came to a halt due to the craziness of the holidays, but I was able to set up the bulk of it yesterday.

DSCN7732

DSCN7082

I tackled assembling a chaise lounge by myself and surprisingly, it came together in about ten minutes (I missed one step and had to start over—not too bad, though!).

DSCN7730

Luckily, I had my dad’s help with putting together the closet system. Jen loves DIY projects, so she was also willing to lend a hand. Jen dictated the directions while I did the math conversions and my dad did the hammering.

DSCN7737

DSCN7738

Once the shelving unit was attached to the wall, I immediately began adding details to the room. I started transferring some of my clothing from my room to my closet, but I ran out of wooden hangers. For Christmas, Jen bought me two canvas paintings as well as a vanity table. It’s amazing how decorative pieces can really complete a room.

DSCN7727

DSCN7734

DSCN7744

Though I still have a few finishing touches to work on, it’s already beginning to look and feel like the ultimate dressing room. I love that I now have a place for my makeup, and cute bowls where I can store my jewelry and watches.

DSCN7719

DSCN7718

DSCN7717

Home remodeling projects can be a bit daunting, but my project came together pretty quickly once I made some executive decisions. I chose a light gray paint color to keep it neutral and to brighten up the room. Because the walls had murals painted on them, I had to paint several coats of primer and two coats of a semi-gloss paint on top. I also painted the ceiling, which added time to the process. It was fairly simple, but taping the edges and around the molding was labor-intensive.

DSCN7096Before

DSCN7090During the Process

The shelving system was installed within two hours and wasn’t difficult to assemble, once we had the correct measurements marked on the wall.

DSCN7703After Installation

For a simple upgrade with the vanity table, I replaced the knobs with two different ones that I had picked up from Anthropologie.

DSCN7708Before

DSCN7725After

I love that it isn’t matchy-matchy—one is a snail and the other is a circular knob with a painted blue pattern.

My parents just bought me more hangers so now it’s time to fill up these racks!

DSCN7732[Almost] Finished Product

UPDATE: See the finished product here!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to A Peek Into My Closet

1. Pamela says:

Ah that is so awesome! I would love to have a walk-in closet like that! You guys did a great job. I don’t even know where to begin with my closet makeover. Have fun with it! :) By the way, I love your MK watch collection. I love my new silver watch, and I have my eye on a brown/gold tortoise one!

2. Kristine says:

Ohhhh my GOD I love IT!!! But where are the Loubs?! (Aside from safely tucked away in their duster in the box!) It looks SO fabulous, you could not have done a better job.

3. Corrie Anne says:

It looks stunning! And congrats on putting the lounge chair together! That’s impressive!

4. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says:

I am in love. I’ve always promised myself that one day I will have a closet like that. I just need to finish school and start making the big bucks! :) You did an amazing job, I am seriously in awe!

5. This is so beautiful. You are the luckiest girl!!!!!

6. Jenny says:

LOVVEEE the closet, gorgeous, esp the vanity table. you wouldn’t notice if one of your watches went missing would you…?

7. Wow it looks lovely! So bright and organized!

8. I’m drooling over your closet and colorful clothes. My friends are always so shocked to see how pathetic my wardrobe is because apparently I’m good at dressing myself. Carrie would be impressed.

9. I absolutely love your new walk-in closet!! Super jealous! It’s like walking into a store full of clothes. My closet is a mess and I wish it looked like yours. I love those wooden hangers. It really makes a difference. :D

10. Oh goodness! B-E-A-UTIFUL!!! You are living out every girls dream! …..I love the handles, those knobs are the cutest! Oh, and the wall art! Oh and the organization! I could go on and on :)
    Fantastic!

11. Oh. My. God. Such a beautiful closet. I am beyond jealous!

12. Zach says:

Ohh ….so that’s what you were doing up there.

13. Alexandra says:

What a gorgeous closet! Love the chaise lounge too.

14. Your closet is the size of my apartment – SO jealous!!! Looks beautiful, great job.

15. lizzyj1305 says:

oh my awesome!! I loveee all the orange in your wardrobe! gorgeous girlie! xoxo!

16. When I move to MD can we please have a slumber party in your closet?! It looks like a boutique! It is breathtaking. Pretty clothes soothe me–does that make me strange?

17. Bree says:

Loveeeee the desk and the knobs are a great touch!! Any idea where it’s from?

18. I love everything about your closet! This makes me want to reorganize my closets.

19. Holly Carman says:

Your closet looks amazing! I’m working on a closet make-over right now, too. It’s been so much fun so far :)

20. Pingback: An Unusual Hobby for a 20 Year Old « Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill

21. Pingback: DeCoração Blog » Blog Archive » Quarta de quartos: araras de roupas

22. Pingback: DIY Chevron Rug » Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill

23. Bethany says:

Where did you get your shelving unit from??

24. Pingback: Have a Walk-In Closet That You Can't Even Reach In? Clear the Closet Clutter NOW!

Share your thoughts!