I’ll never know if it was my persistent prayers or the fact that I wore my pajamas inside-out for three nights in a row, but I was beyond ecstatic to receive notification that classes were cancelled on Wednesday. With a presentation due and eight hours of classes, I hit the snow day jackpot (or rather rain day as there was no accumulation during the “blizzard”).
Waking up at 5am to check the weather report left me with a few hours to spend in the kitchen. By the time my family came downstairs, breakfast was waiting on the table for them. I made a favorite that is usually reserved for special occasions, Cap’n Crunch French toast. It felt decadent to indulge on a weekday morning, though so worth the extra calories.
Cap’n Crunch French Toast
1 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
8 slices of Italian bread or Texas toast
1. Combine the heavy cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl using a wire whisk.
2. Soak the pieces of bread in the egg mixture, making sure to cover both sides. The bread should be well-coated, but not soggy.
3. In another shallow dish, crush the Cap’n Crunch cereal using the bottom of a plastic cup.
4. Spray a griddle or pan with nonstick cooking spray then gently place the pieces of bread down. Cook on medium heat until golden brown (about 4 minutes on each side). Be sure to keep the heat low, as it can easily burn because of the caramelized sugars.
5. Top with powdered sugar and fresh fruit.
//Inspired by Blue Moon Cafe//